Use this step-by-step guide to help you resolve outstanding payments.
Note: Only staff members with the admin or manager permission level can pull this report.
Once you’re logged into the Petly Plans software, follow these easy steps to ensure your billing and payment processing are as accurate as possible.
- Hover your mouse over the menu bar in top left corner.
The full menu appears.
- Go to Reports > Payments.
- Click Outstanding Payments.
The Outstanding Payments report gives you a comprehensive view of all outstanding payments by customers, which pet (if multiple plans), the transaction date(s), and the amount unpaid.
- Evaluate each plan.
Identify why each payment has been marked as unpaid: Was the transaction declined, or did the payment not process?
Note: Running your Potential Payment Issues report before the draft prevents outstanding payments due to the transaction not being processed.
- Call the pet owner to discuss the reason for their outstanding payments.
If you are unable to connect with the pet owner by phone, follow up with an email or mailed letter.
You can find a sample letter on the Petly Plans here.
If you don’t receive a response within 10 days, reprocess the defaulted payment, you should add a supplemental payment to cover costs such as a non-sufficient funds (NSF) fee and charge that payment as well.
Additional recommendations for NSFs:
- If there is an issue for two consecutive months, consider canceling the wellness plan and sending it to collections. Keeping a plan active does not guarantee payment.
- If there are NSF issues twice during the year, set the plan to Do Not Renew for the next year and let the client know during the last month of the plan.
Complete the two-step best practice recommendation to help ensure your billing and payment processing are as accurate as possible.
- Run the Potential Payment Issues report a few days before the 20th (draft processing date) of each month and resolve any issues
- The day after payments are processed, run the Outstanding Payments Report.