After payments have been drafted, check the Unsuccessful Payment Collections report to see if something has been returned. (Reports > Payments > Unsuccessful Payment Collection preset report) If necessary, export this report to a PDF to keep track of clients that need contacting.
Note: To help reduce the number of declined payments, sign up for the Authorize.Net Account Updater. You can also set up the application to automatically reprocess payments 4 days after they were initially declined.
Recommend collections process:
- Call the client and discuss the issue.
- If you do not get a response within 3 days, send a letter or email
- If you do not get a response within 10 days, reprocess the default payment, add a supplemental payment to cover costs such an NSF fee and charge that payment as well.
Additional recommendations for NSF:
- If there is an issue for 2 consecutive months, the practice should cancel the wellness plan and send to collections. Historically keeping the plans active does not guarantee payment.
- If there are NSF issues twice during the year, set the plan to Do Not Renew for the next year and let the client know the last month of the plan.